Wednesday, November 23, 2011

All Intercession Is Already Complete

I do not pray. For a long time, that was because I didn't believe in prayer. I had no one to pray to or I believed in Gods and Goddesses who didn't answer prayers. But now, I have a different reason for not praying.

In Shin Buddhism as I understand it, there is only one prayer that means anything. "Take me to the Pure Land so I may become a Buddha." By having faith in Amitabha's Primal Vow, this prayer is already answered. He sends blessings but I do not need to ask for anything any longer. Karma and my choices and the nature of life will make my life what it will be. I have nothing to fear. The worst pain in the world is simply illusion and ignorance of reality. It hurts now but it is the key to the ultimate awakening.

But I talk to Amitabha. I have a relationship with him. I just do not see the need to ask for more than his boundless compassion has already given. Would I like it if this move were made easier? Sure. Would I like more earthly happiness? Sure. And would I like life to be better for my friends and family? Of course. If I lacked even that compassion, I'd make a dreadful bodhisattva. But my prayer is enlightenment for myself and everyone and everything else and Amitabha has already vowed that. It is given. A Christian in 2011 does not pray for Christ to be sacrificed for the forgiveness of sins. What is done, by Amitabha's love, is done now and forever. I simply wait and live life as best I can, in gratitude, taking what moments of joy come, until I see him face to face and he teaches me all there is to know. This is his gift, his promise, my answered prayer.

If I prayed for him to grant me my wishes, I would be praying for him to further my attachments to illusion. Instead, I await the day he will gladly cut all my ties to illusion. He sends his compassion to me to strengthen me in shinjin, faith in his promise and in my guarantee of birth in the Pure Land. This is enough.

No one is punished for not having faith in Amitabha. No one is punished for not being a Buddhist. Life can be a punishment for all of us. If your faith makes it better for you, you are blessed. Buddhists believe that living a good life will lead you to a more blessed rebirth. I want this for all my loved ones so live good lives, whatever your beliefs. I haven't lived the best life but I have found my way to what I want and that faith is making me a better person. I don't need to remember a million rules. I can meditate without worrying when my nose itches that I'm screwing my enlightenment up. I will be taken care of. The illusion I live in now is the very stuff of Amitabha's vow, the stuff of this cyclical life of joy and suffering, the stuff of transcendence. Namu-Amida-Butsu.

No comments:

Post a Comment